One thing we are really aware of in the development of our hair dyes is that we want to make as clean a product as possible. However, we do not /wish to compromise our quality, which means that not all ingredients that are linked to hair dye allergy can be left out completely in our formulas. This article will give you a run through of the ingredients in NATURIGIN hair colours, the lowdown on hair dye allergy and how to avoid it.
What is hair dye allergy
An allergic reaction happens as the response to a substance. When the body becomes sensitized to a substance, that substance becomes an allergen. It is individual what our bodies react to and the allergens are therefore very individual. However, there are a few common ingredients in hair dye that are more likely to cause an allergic reaction, so let’s talk a bit about them.
Ingredients that may cause hair dye allergy
- PPD (paraphenylenediamine): PPD is one of the ingredients that are most likely to cause an allergic reaction. PPD can cause redness, swelling and irritation on the scalp, face and neck. PPD is included in hair dyes to protect the colour from fading fast. Although, many hair colour companies today claim to be PPD free, it basically means that they have replaced it with the even more dangerous sister-chemical PTD.
- SLS (Sodium Lauryl/Laurel Sulfate): is a known skin irritant, potentially carcinogenic. It is normally used to create the foaming experience.
- Ammonia: The purpose of ammonia in hair color is to help open the cuticle layer of the hair and allow the colour molecules to penetrate the hair. However, the chemical is very corrosive and damages cells in the body when in contact with the body.
- Resorcinol: Absorbtion of resorcinol through the skin and into the blood system where it can cause quite severe health impacts, such as heart rate changes, breathing changes and severe headache.
- Propylene Glycol: Propylene Glycol can cause skin irritations, liver and kidney damage.
Ingredients in NATURIGIN
We are constantly trying to replace as many of the damaging ingredients as possible and find healthier and more organic alternatives. This philosophy and our experience from developing hair colours for professional use have led to NATURIGIN 100% PTD-free, SLS-free, Ammonia-free, Resorcinol-free and Parabens-free hair colours. We recently also got rid of Propylene Glycol in our hair dyes.
Not all ingredients from the list above can be replaced without compromising the quality of our hair dye. Until we find a suitable alternative, NATURIGIN hair colours will contain PPD, however, we are proud to say that our permanent hair colours contain the lowest level of PPD in the market with only 0,075% .
How to avoid hair dye allergy
Although NATURIGIN has the lowest level of PPD, some people might still experience allergic reactions to the hair dye. If you have previously experienced allergic reactions from hair colours or tattoos, we recommend you seek advice from your doctor before colouring.
If you have not dyed your hair before, or it has been a while since the last time, we recommend you do a patch test as explained in the hair colour packages, before you start colouring.
We recommend everyone to stay safe and have a happy colouring!