We are always looking for an opportunity to experiment with gorgeous and special hairstyles, so a few weeks ago when we were brainstorming for summer hairstyles, one of the first things that came to mind was ‘weddings’. Summer is definitely wedding season, so no doubt, we just had to make a Wedding Hairstyles session!
Thus last week, we called in our skilled, non-professional stylist Pernille and asked her to give her bid for some beautiful and easy-to-make wedding hairdos. We have gathered five different hot and romantic hairstyles for short and long hair for weddings or other special occasions during the summer. And we have developed a short how-to-guide and gallery for you. We hope you get inspired!
Wedding Hairstyles 1: Half-up twisted hairdo
- Start by curling the hair. We used a curling iron to get these soft curls, which is suitable for this long thick hair. Spray with hairspray to make the curls last. You can wear this style with middle parting or side parting depending on what you prefer.
- Take a small wisp of the front hair in the one side and split into two. Start twisting the two strings around each other loosely. Tie the hair with hairpins as you go along (this is especially necessary if your hair is layered with various lengths). You can make the twist as loose or tight as you prefer. We made it rather loose for a harmonic look with the soft and big curls.
- When you reach the back of the hair, tighten the twist with hairpins and repeat the procedure on the other side of the head.
- Tie the two twists together with hairpins at the back of the head. Try to make it fall into one with the hanging hair.
- Lastly, we have added a few accessories of diamond hairpins for extra detail and a romantic look. Perfect for weddings.
Wedding Hairstyles 2: Twisted low messy bun
- Start at one side of the head by taking a wisp of the front hair. Collect the preferred amount of hair depending on the desired thickness of the twist. Start twisting the hair tightly around itself. Continue twisting till you reach the ends of the hair wisp. Tighten it with hairpins.
- Repeat this procedure at the other side of the hair. Continue the twist around the head above or below the first twist so that both are visible. Take the end of the second twist under the first twist and tighten with hairpins.
- Gather the hair into a bun. The bun does not have to be perfect as you will shape this afterwards.
- Shape the bun in the desired way and tighten with hairpins. We went for a messy look, but you could also use a doughnut for a clean and perfect look.
- Spray with hairspray. Again, you could use accessories to style up the hairdo even more. And voila!
Wedding Hairstyles 3: Twisted half-up hairdo
- This style can be worn with either curly or straight hair depending on what you prefer. We started by curling the hair with a straightening iron. Before curling, we used dry shampoo to give some volume and structure to the hair. Be sure to use hairspray to make the curls last.
- Take a wisp of the hair close to the forehead, but leave the very front hair hanging loose. Split the hair into two and start twisting the two wisps around each other. After the first twist, take in a bit more hair and continue twisting. Tighten the twist with hairpins.
- Move to the front hair that you left hanging before and repeat the procedure. Tighten the twist with hairpins below the first twist.
- Tighten the ends of the two twists together with hairpins underneath the hanging hair in order to hide the pins.
- Spray with hairspray and you’re done!
Wedding Hairstyles 3:Waterfall hairstyle
- Like the above, this style can be worn with straight or curly hair. Here, we chose to leave the hair straight. And again, we started with adding some dry shampoo to give the hair a bit of volume and texture.
- Make a side parting. Take two sections of the front hair and cross the one over the other in a direction that’s going away from your face. Add a new section of hair and let it fall on top of the section you just crossed over.
- Every time you cross two sections and add a new, let one section drop down as in the picture. This creates the waterfall effect (it becomes easier if you hold on to the previous dropped section so it doesn’t get tangled in).
- Continue this way for as far as you wish. We continued the waterfall around the head and ended it on the opposite back side of the head. Tighten it with hairpins.
- Take a small section of the front hair from the opposite side of where you started the waterfall. Add this to the end of the waterfall and tighten with hairpins. Use hairspray, naturally, and you have a beautiful hairstyle!
Wedding Hairstyles 4: Braided bun
- Start by the front top hair. Take a small section and backcomb the hair to give it volume. Continue this way moving backwards on top of the head down towards the neck.
- After this, comb the hair straight back. The hair should now be rather voluminous. Gather the hair while you take the head forward and down to expose the neck.
- Take a section of the hair all down by the neck line and split into three. Make a French braid going from the hair line and straight up the head towards the top of the head. Stop the braid half way up the head.
- Gather the hair into a ponytail where you wish the bun to be placed (you can decide how high or low you want the bun to be). Take a doughnut (as in the picture) and take it outside the ponytail and place it at the hair roots.
- Take the hanging hair from the ponytail around the doughnut to form a symmetric bun. However, leave the hair hanging outside the doughnut and tighten it with an elastic band.
- Take the left-out section of hair and make it into a braid. Lead the braid all around the bun and tighten it with hairpins. Spray with hairspray and you’re left with a beautiful, romantic and classic wedding hairdo.
Please, feel free to leave a comment below, we would love to hear your opinion.